CLARENCE OSBORNE BROWN's story
This account has been adapted from "Browns of Kyeburn Peninsula" by Wally Brown, his son - to whom many thanks
Clarence and Rona married at Kaponga in 1948 - their marriage being the third within six months for the Wilfred Brown family - and also the last.
He worked on the farm with his father until the latter's retirement about 1955, buying his herd and farm machinery, and staying at the Rowan Road farm until 1962 when he bought the Riddick farm from Rona's parents. The farm was of 29 hectares at the top end of Mangawhero Road near the Mount Egmont National Park boundary. They built a new brick home there in 1967, and a few years later a new herring bone cowshed. They had five children, to one of which they sold the farm in 1985, retiring to live in Kaponga. Clarence kept driving the school bus which he began doing in 1974 to deliver local children to the Riverlea and Awatuna schools; he also sings in the Church choir.
They lived at 2 Fitzgerald Avenue, Kaponga only a stones throw from the Kaponga cemetery, where so many of their forebears and relatives were buried.