This account has been adapted from "Browns of Kyeburn Peninsula" by Wally Brown - to whom many thanks

Shir, as she was known to the family lived in Maitland Street, Invercargill. She went to primary and secondary schools in Christshurch and played netball for Linwood Avenue Old Girls with her sister Bev. She was also in the lifesaving team at school and has a bronze madallion with two bars as well.

Her first job was with V A Norrish, public accountant as a shorthand typist. Mr Norrish was called up during WW2 and the firm became Miller, Gale and Winter.

Shir loved overseas travel, and she went to England with a friend in 1953. She worked as a private secretary for Dunlop Rubber in London for three years and during the next couple of years travelled extensively through Europe and Scandinavia. (Shir said that the fare from Sydney to Tilbury via Suez was 89..10..0 ($179) and the trip home via the Panama on SS Ruahine was 114 ($228) when she rejoined her old firm of Miller Gale and Winter in 1955

Bob who was born in Cumbria was a tadesman painter and went to Australia on the 10 scheme after WW2. He worked at various places befor going to New Zealand to look up some friends and relatives. Bob's parents were getting old and frail, so he went back to England on the SS orantes from Sydney to Tilbury, sitting at the same table as Shir, and that was the start of their romance. Although work was hard to come by in Cumbria, he managed to save enough for his voyage to New Zealand, where, marrying in 1959 they moved to Invercargill in 1960

Shirley started work as a stenographer with Macalister Bros, barristers and solicitors, then, soon after, took up a position with John MIlls, the Crown Solicitor. She gave up work in 1964 but took up full time employment with Macalister Bros again after filling in for a friend in 1967. Apart from another world trip and an Australian holiday, she was ther until she retired in 1990. In the latter years she worked 15 hours a week as a debt collector.

Bob worked at his trade and they flatted in Dublin Street until they had a new house built in 1961. Bob suffered a coronary in 1967, and althopugh he recovered and took up his trade again, it became too much, so he took a position as a storeman clerk for the Southland Hospital Board. He had a second coronary in 1959 and the damage to his heart eventually took his life. He was a baritone, and had won competitions singing in pubs with a friend, back in Cumbria